Top Tips to Avoid the Winter Itch and Dry Skin
When you’re in search of Venice, FL dermatology, we at Wasserman Ulitsky Dermatology are proud to go above and beyond in giving you the skincare that you deserve. We provide a number of skincare services, ranging from cosmetic dermatology to surgical dermatology, in order to help your skin stay healthy and achieve a radiant glow. Now that the winter months are here though, it’s not uncommon for your skin to sometimes feel tight and itchy. This is caused by dry skin. Even though dry skin is most common during winter, you can still take steps to prevent the occurrence of this condition in this cold weather.
How to Avoid Dry Skin
During the winter season, we recommend the following tips in order to protect yourself from developing dry skin. You should:
- Use a humidifier – During the colder months, your home will likely be heated and dry the air out. By using a humidifier, you can add moisture back into the air and counter the effects of the air drying out.
- Use moisturizer – You should frequently apply a thick moisturizing cream. This will create a thicker, protective layer that will keep moisture inside your skin for a longer amount of time.
- Wear gloves – Your skin will be sensitive to the cold weather and temperature changes, especially your hands since they are generally the most exposed. Remember to wear gloves to protect your hands from dry skin.
- Put on sunscreen – Despite how cold it may be, you can still get sunburned by the sun’s UV rays, which will only make your skin drier. If you’re going to be outside for any prolonged period of time, make sure to apply sunscreen to protect yourself from the sun’s rays.
- Stay away from irritants – Another thing that can cause dry skin is allergies. Make sure to stay away from anything that may trigger your allergies and try to manage your allergic conditions as best as you can.
When to See a Dermatologist
While in most cases, itchy skin is just something that can be treated at home with over-the-counter medication. However, if this situation starts to become severe and your skin begins to crack or peel a lot, you may have developed a skin disorder. One of these problematic skin conditions is eczema, where the skin becomes inflamed and dry. If you think you may be developing a skin disorder or you’re experiencing severe symptoms, we recommend coming in to visit us and we can determine what’s causing it and how to best treat it.
Contact Your Venice, FL Dermatologist Today!
If you feel like you may have a more serious case of dry skin, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at (941) 484-8222 to schedule an appointment with us. If you’d like to learn more about eczema or our skincare methods, we encourage you to contact us. We hope to help make your skin as healthy as possible!