Regular visits to a med spa can help you achieve healthy, vibrant radiant skin, through a variety of high-quality dermatology and skincare treatments. But maintaining healthy skin means more than just visiting your dermatologist – and it turns out that even your diet plays a role in the health of your skin. To help you stay healthy inside and out, here are some foods you should steer clear of if you want beautiful, clear, healthy skin on your face.
5 Foods that Hinder Skin Health
- Ice Cream: We all love a scoop of ice cream on a hot summer day, but unfortunately, our faces do not. That’s because all the sugar in ice cream produces chemical reactions in the skin that damage collagen and elastin, two of the proteins most responsible for healthy skin. To keep your face looking fresh, skip that ice cream scoop and opt for something a little less sugary.
- White Bread: Whether it’s white bread, a white bagel, or cookies, refined carbohydrates can do a number on skin. Instead, opt for fiber-rich foods to keep skin strong.
- Milk: Got milk? Actually, maybe the best answer is no. Skim milk has been linked to increased acne breakouts, which means that there might be better ways to get your calcium.
- Processed Food: TV dinners, canned spam, frozen meals… to your skin, it’s all the same. Often high in sodium, processed foods can suck the life out of your skin – instead, head to the market and pick up some fresh produce.
- Junk Food: This one might be obvious, but it’s worth reiterating: potato chips, candies, and most things that come in a brightly colored bag can seriously damage your skin. Often, these foods are full of sodium, sugar, carbs, or a combination of the three, which is bad news for skin health.